Alarcon sits on a rocky hill almost completely encircled by a loop of the river Jucar. Spotted more than a century ago by a Visigoth prince who thought it would make the perfect location for a castle. Persuaded his father built a castle which is now a wonderful parador.
Stone walls and turrets surround the town and castle of Alarcon. One of these turrets sits right on the river and enabled the inhabitants to draw fresh water even during a siege.
After a long occupation by the Moors the castle was taken back by the Spaniards during the Reconquest in 1184 following a nine-month siege.
On entering the village you have the impression of stepping back through the centuries. Especially as to get to Alercon there is a narrow strip of land between two bends of the river which is only just wide enough for the road. This then goes through a series of medieval gateways leading to the town.
As well as the castle admire the main square with its old town hall and the 16th century San Juan Bautista Church and stroll through the medieval streets. The church houses some excellent murals by Jesus Mateo. These have now been given UNESCO patronage and are visited by more than 40,000 people each year.
The Santa Maria church is a lovely Renaissance church.
Alarcon is an historic-artistic site because of its great monuments and the surrounding countryside.
Places to Visit Nearby
The gorge of the River Jucar is a great place to do some walking.
Cuenca with its wonderful old town and hanging houses is to the north of Alarcon.
West of Alarcon is Belmonte which also has an impressive castle.
Photos taken within 10 km
Map of Alarcon & places nearby
Belmonte 54 km
Cuenca 58 km